Friday, June 1, 2012

Delirium Review

Delirium
Lauren Oliver (@OliverBooks)
Book #1 - Delirium series
August 2nd 2011 by HarperCollins Publishers
Goodreads

Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe.

I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.

I want to get it over with.

It’s hard to be patient.

It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet.

Still, I worry.

They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.

The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.

In Lena's world love is a disease that will kill you. Everyone wants to avoid falling in love. There is even a "cure" for love.  Love as a disease is called Amor Deliria Nervosa which makes it a mental disorder. Love is not emotions or something you feel with your heart and soul. It is a diagnosable disease with symptoms and stages.  Lena is counting down the days until she can receive the cure because after watching her mother fall victim to love and try to be cured three times, she wants to make sure she doesn't ever fall in love.  She doesn't want to be one to rebel against the government, instead she has accepted what has been told to her. Love will kill her, so she will kill love.  Then, Lena meets Alex.  Everything in Lena's world changes.  Alex encourages Lena to look beyond what she has been taught to believe about love. 
Luckily Delirium will grab hold of you and infect you like no other book has.  It will leave to wanting more...luckily you have Pandemonium. I know I will get to book two soon because I have to know what has happened to these characters!  Lena and Alex are great characters andLauren Oliver’s book is a gripping and intense read, and I highly recommend it.
Lagniappe
An interactive book trailer for Delirium:


No comments:

Post a Comment